1. How old were you when you got pregnant and what was it like when you told your parents? When I got pregnant I was 15 years old. My dad has never been in my life so I still haven’t officially “told him”, he knows from my family. I was terrified to tell my mom so I went to my school counselor first. She told me to try and tell my mom or we could call her into the school and tell her together. I decided that I would tell her myself so she didn’t think that I thought I couldn’t talk to her. She was very angry at me, but she was very supportive and told me she was going to be there for me and my precious baby.
2. What kind of obstacles did you face as a teen mom and what did you do to overcome them? Being a single teen mom I had to get a job, a car, and grow up since I was on my own. I was a huge partyer before I got pregnant and all of my friends no longer speak to me since they were partying all the time. This was hard on me because they said they would always be there for me. My mom has many illnesses and is always in and out of the hospital. I am home alone with my son and taking care of my little brother, working, breastfeeding, and had to graduate high school.
3. What kind of education (HS Diploma, Some College, Bachelors, or Masters) and career do you have now? As of right now I work hard and plan to graduate high school in December. I only have 4 classes a day because I took so many extra ones my junior year. I plan to attend our local community college in the fall so I can stay close to my family and keep my job.
4. What advice do you have for current teen moms? I want to tell teen mothers to always try your hardest. My journey has been extremely hard but it has made me into the person that I am today. Don’t drop out of high school because it is possible, hard but possible.
5. What’s your definition of success? My definition of success is having love and support near you and doing what you want to do. You don’t have to have designer clothes or the best of everything, just as long as you can find happiness in your life.
You can find Christyn here on Facebook